March 09, 2010

My very first tutorial

So me and Chan (a.k.a Chantel) decided to blog and share our love of crafting and such, so we created a month where we get together and each of us have a project planned. We call this day....get ready... Craft day! Pretty catchy huh. huh. My project this month was a menu board. I have seen tons of different menu boards out there, and they are all so cute, but my decorating style is a primitive style (or so I think and wish), and I came up with this one.



I love stars and I'm loving this yellow color! My husband Todd is owner of a restaurant booth and cabinet manufacturer, so I have all the wood and tools at my disposal!! woohoo I love the smell of wood!! So here we go with the tutorial....

I went and scoured the wood pile and found a pretty good size piece of thin plywood. I didn't want it to be to heavy as I have it hanging on my pantry door. The size I cut it out was 21x12 inches. Plywood has a smooth surface and doesn't need to be sanded before you paint it!! A step I HATE to do! I like fast projects and I am not patient!



Please excuse my photo taking. I'm not good at it! AT ALL!! Next project I'll have my daughter who is a pro take them. So bear with me!! I went ahead and painted it with chalkboard paint in the spray can. We painted the the top part a yellow acrylic paint that you can get at Walmart or any craft store.




I went and sanded the edges just to get a little worn look. Oh I forgot the little piece of scrap wood that I added to the board where the black and yellow meet. (I told ya I was bad at pic taking). Sand the edges of that as well.



I LOVE Minwax Gel Stain in Walnut!! It becomes a little sticky after it is applied an until it dries, but I like the look it gives over regular stain. Apply this to all pieces, let dry. Since I forgot the pics for the painting of the star and everything I will just let you know what I did. The star I had for this project was something I picked up at a craft store on clearance. It was and ugly gold and I went ahead and painted it black and then the same acrylic yellow. Sanded and then used the gel stain. Use wood glue and apply star and wood trim piece. AND....... take a breath now, Its over, I finished (although not great) the tutorial!!!

The finished project hanging on my pantry door!!! My son decide to go ahead and plan this week's menu!! Good choices!!! Thanks til next time.


linking to

No comments:

Post a Comment