April 07, 2010

bunny make do and future chippendale?!


before i get to my project, I have to show this pic of my son....... He has this obsession with showing everyone his chest. Maybe he wants to be a future stripper?!... anyways.... sorry about that.






Now on to my project....Since we were so busy in March (I don't know with what). I didn't get my Easter project done until the day before easter. But you could leave this cute guy out until the end of May for spring. Right? I need some reassurance people..




I first drew out a pic of a bunny head and traced it onto doubled muslin. Sew onto your traced lines. Leave a few inches open at the bottom of the head for turning, stuffing it, and attaching him to your old mattress spring

Grab ya some chenille stems, these will be used in the ears so you can reposition them. (do this before you stuff) fold the stem in half and stick inside his ears. Now stuff him!

sew some vintage buttons. I used two different sizes, because I like the primitive look. Cut a triangle out of wool and handstitch. Also handstitch a mouth with embroidery thread. Brush on some blush for cheeks.
Ok now to the antiqueing........ mix you up a pot of strong coffee. Or if you prefer a not so grungy look, just make a cup of tea. Using a brush, 'paint' the coffee on him. soak him good!





Now stick him into the oven on 200 degrees, watch him cause he will burn. I usually keep them in there for about 15 to 20 minutes. It gives it that good rusty, grungy look.


Now when he is dry and all antiqued up, twist him onto your rusty mattress spring. I got mine from my back yard. I don't know how it got there.....but it was out there a long time and I seen lots of people using the springs for crafting. So stick a box spring outside and let it rust and you can make a whole batch of thesebuggers! Enjoy!


I am linking this up on
SYS Thurs

2 comments:

  1. cute bunnies! I like the fact that you put them on bed springs... I have many of those hanging around here!
    thanks for visiting and commenting on the headboard bench.
    have a great weekend.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool bunnies! I love them! Never had an idea to put such thinkgs into the owen!
    greetins from Croatia!

    ReplyDelete